Campaign for Veteran's Housing
HOUSING COMING SOON!!
Rising Against All Odds has obtained a large 5 bedroom house, located in Downtown DeLand, that we envision utilizing as transitional housing for our veterans. We have a plan in place, but need the support of YOU, our community, to make it a reality!
- We need the support of the community to champion for permission to rent individual rooms in the house to veterans.
- Our veteran's need a warm welcoming environment to call home - we need donations of furnishings; beds, tables and chairs, sofa, linens, dinnerware, etc.
- Help us get the word out to our veteran's - if you know a veteran in need of housing, please, REFER THEM TO US!
The goal of the "Bleu" House for Veteran's's Program is simple: to end chronic homelessness among veterans in our communities. Achieving that goal is as simple as "people helping people".
Why are there so many homeless veterans? Veterans returning from combat duty with PTSD, disabling physical injuries, and few if any marketable or transferable skills often can’t find or keep jobs. With no salary to support them, military families face a high foreclosure rate. Lack of support services and social isolation after discharge also contribute to homelessness. It’s a vicious cycle. Joblessness leads to homelessness, which leads to hopelessness, substance abuse and/or depression, which limit the veteran’s ability to find a new job. The statistics are daunting:
- Veterans make up 1 in 4 of all homeless Americans.
- According to the Office of Community Planning and Development’s 2013 Annual Homeless Assessment Report, approximately 60,000 veterans were homeless at any given point during 2013.
- Over 2,100 veterans were experiencing homelessness at any given time in New England during 2013.
The "Bleu" House with a full range of support services including an employment and training program, special services related to PTSD, substance abuse, and other challenges faced by veterans. Case management and counseling are provided to help veterans regain control of their lives.
The "Bleu" House for Veterans brings hope to veterans and their families with our emergency, transitional, and long-term supportive housing. The organization operates safe, drug- and alcohol-free facilities for male and female veterans of all ages and eras. Our housing and supportive services programs give veterans a stable base from which to find or hold a job, continue their physical or mental recovery, and, ultimately, return to independent living.